Friday, June 6, 2014


It's
Cozy Food Friday!

That means it's time to share another recipe from 
another great cozy mystery!

Warm weather is here so BBQs and parties are happening 
almost every weekend. And what makes any get together a happy one?
Dessert!

I don't know about you but my favorite dessert is cake. 
Oh, and chocolate. Always good to have chocolate!
With out further ado....

TEXAS SHEET CAKE
  (Michele Masarech's recipe)

1 cup butter
1 cup water
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups sugar
1/2  tsp. salt
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs (slightly beaten)

Preheat oven to 350 degress Fahrenheit. Bring butter, water, and cocoa to boil in saucepan. Remove from heat.

Add remaining ingredients, mixing after each addition. 

Pour batter into greased and floured 12 1/2" x 17 1/2" x 1" baking pan.

Bake 22 to 27 minutes.

FROSTING
(spread on hot cake)

1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup cocoa
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup milk
1/2 to 1 cup ground nuts

In saucepan, bring butter, milk and cocoa to boil.
      Add confectioners' sugar, adding more if needed
to make it of spreading consistency.
      Spread frosting on hot cake.
      Sprinkle with ground nuts.

Lisa's Note: My sister had a good friend (we miss you Joann) who made an amazing Texas Sheet Cake. She mixed the ground nuts into the frosting instead of sprinkling them on top giving the cake more of an appearance like in the photo below.

You can find Michele's Texas Sheet Cake
 and other great recipes in
A SECOND HELPING OF MURDER
by Christine Wenger
Book two in her Comfort Food Mystery series.


Trixie Matkowski is warming up to running her family’s diner in the small town of Sandy Harbor in upstate New York. But the only thing more demanding than serving up piping-hot comfort food twenty-four hours a day is getting to the bottom of a double homicide....

Trixie fondly remembers summers as a child spent visiting the shores of Lake Ontario. Not much has changed—there are still vinyl booths at the Silver Bullet Diner, families eating home-cooked comfort food, and days of swimming in the lake.
But before Trixie can say “Order’s up,” someone’s summer is abruptly cut short. One of the cottage residents is found dead, and Trixie suspects the crime might be linked to an unsolved disappearance in the picturesque town’s past.
As Trixie works with Deputy Ty Brisco to solve both mysteries, their shocking discoveries will shake up the small town. And when word gets out that she’s on the case, Trixie’s in trouble—after all, the murderer won’t spare her life just because she makes a killer corned beef sandwich....
Want to appear on my blog?
Take photos making a recipe 
featured on my blog
 and email them to me at
 lisaksbookreview@aol.com 
I will post them on an upcoming 
Cozy Food Friday!

As always, please leave a comment and let me know what you think!
Also, become a Follower of my blog by clicking on the
 link in the upper right hand corner of this page.

*********************************************************************


The Friday 56 is a meme hosted by Freda's Voice

My Friday 56 this week will be 
will also be from
A SECOND HELPING OF MURDER
by Christine Wenger

I peeked out the pass-through window. The cops were seated in groups of four to twelve. Tables were moved around and the noise level was high. After the gruesome scene that they'd witnessed, and all the caffeine they'd consumed, they seemed ready to let loose.






17 comments:

  1. I love that cover...and the premise makes me want to read more. Great excerpt, too.

    Here's mine: “THE STORIES WE TELL”


    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, the one Darlene's friend use to make was amazing! I'm going to have to try my hand at it. If you and Rosie and Kelly try your hands at it, take pics and I'll post them on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like there's going to be some trouble down the line! The Texas Sheet Cake looks amazing although I'm not a big fan of walnuts! I love the idea of comfort food mysteries, maybe I should read some of those! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
    My BB
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy post and great 56!!

    Here is my Book Beginning post!!

    AND

    Here is my Friday 56 post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa! That cake looks absolutely yummo! And, the recipe sounds super easy to make. I am a self-proclaimed chocoholic and can honestly make the statement: "Chocolate makes my clothes shrink". Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try it soon. Have a beautiful weekend! Sandy in So. Cali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Same here! If you do make it, please take some photos and email me. I'd love to share them on my blog!

      Delete
  6. The cake looks amazing! I love a good Texas sheet cake! I've seen the series around but haven't picked it up yet. I love the comfort food hook. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE cozies and this sounds like a good one. Thanks for the recipe too. I'll make this one and maybe even take a photo to send to you. (But right now I'm trying to lose some weight.)
    My Friday post is here: WALLS FOR THE WIND.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Remember, if you make any of the recipes on my blog, take pics. Of the process, the finished product. You can be in the pics if you want or not. Just have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Texas Sheet Cake can't be beat! My mom always makes it with pecan halves --- and my brother likes to pick them all off so we have to guard it. Now I'm wanting cake! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saved that recipe, the cake looks delicious! Thanks!
    Love the sounds of the book too. :-)

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Ready to let loose." Something is about to go down. Seeing that gruesome scene doesn't help matters and caffeine too? Oh my goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I'm Chris Wenger, the author of DO OR DINER & A SECOND HELPING OF MURDER. This is my comfort food series! I had such fun writing these books (more to come!), and it makes me smile that the recipes are being enjoyed! Thanks to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chris, you write them and we'll be more than happy to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow-this looks delish, I will definitely try this!! It's okay to have chocolate cake, right--bathing suit season is almost over

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, it's the perfect time to make it! ;-) My sister's friend made a fantastic Texas Sheetcake. They are yummy!

      Delete