Tuesday, June 28, 2016


CAUGHT BREAD HANDED by Ellie Alexander
ENGAGED IN DEATH by Stephanie Blackmoore

CAUGHT BREAD HANDED
Book 4 in the Bakeshop Mysteries
by Ellie Alexander


Welcome to Torte―a friendly, small-town family bake shop where the oven is heating up as high as the body count…


Jules Capshaw is still chewing over her husband Carlos’s return to Ashland, Oregon. Could there be too many cooks in the kitchen? Whatever is stirring between those two will have to wait. Despite the Oregon Shakespeare Festival being dark for the winter, the bakeshop is bustling, the dough is rolling, and there’s no rest for the weary…especially when murder is thrown into the mix.

When Mindy Nolan, the owner of a new restaurant in town, turns up dead, the batter at hand thickens. Jules knows that there was bad blood between Mindy and others in town, and tracking down the killer could prove to be an unwelcome treat. And to top it all off, there’s Carlos, who is pleading―with those delicious dark eyes and sexy Spanish accent―for Jules to take him back. Is home where the heart is or will she make a fresh start…and risk getting burned?

MY REVIEW


As delicious, and intoxicating as the pastries in Torte, CAUGHT BREAD HANDED is the perfect ingredient in this culinary mystery series!

I remember pick up the first book in this series, MEET YOUR BAKER, and thinking how wonderful it sounded. Understatement! I was hooked before I was done with the first chapter.  I’ve excitedly waited for each new installment since.

CAUGHT BREAD HANDED is a superb mystery that’s filled with excitement, fun, mystery, yummy food, great characters, a lovely location, everything readers look for in a cozy, and of course a murder victim, and enough suspects to keep you second guessing yourself.

There was only one aspect of this story, concerning a couple of characters, one in particular, I wasn’t really thrilled with. Other readers will no doubt be very happy with it. As for me, I’m waiting to see how it plays out in future books.

CAUGHT BREAD HANDED was a great book. You’re going to want to check it out, as well as the rest of the series!

You’ll find eight delectable recipes, and an expert from the next Bakeshop Mystery, all at the end of this book!

~*~*~*~*~


All appears peaceful in sleepy Port Quincy, Pennsylvania--but in this small town, old grudges die hard. .

After dumping her cheating fiancé and cancelling the wedding, Mallory Shepard can't bear another disaster. So when the former bride-to-be unexpectedly inherits Thistle Park, a ramshackle mansion in her ex's hometown of Port Quincy, it's a problem she can't afford--literally. Abound with stray cats, peeling wallpaper, and nosy neighbors, Mallory is dying to sell it off--once she finally fixes up both the place and her messy life. . .

Turns out, Thistle Park has its charms. But the honeymoon phase is abruptly cut short when an unwanted visitor is found dead on the front lawn. Enlisting the help of her sister Rachel, Mallory vows to unveil the killer before she herself becomes married to the suspect list. . .

MY REVIEW


A promising debut to the new Wedding Planner Mystery series.

All in all I enjoyed ENGAGED IN DEATH. It did take me a little while to get into it. Something with the characters just wasn’t clicking with me at first. But further into the story, as author Stephanie Blackmoore fleshed them out, the book started to move faster for me.

Ms. Blackmoore has a flare for description. I could clearly visualize each scene as though I was in the room with the characters. I could hear the sounds, and smell the aromas. 

ENGAGED TO DEATH was a solid mystery, with a well done reveal. There were just enough suspects to get me guessing until the reveal. I was close, but has changed my mind at some point. That will teach me to second guess myself. ;-)

Make sure to check out the back of the book where you will find some tasty recipes, and an excerpt of boo two in the Wedding Planner Mysteries, MURDER WEARS WHITE.


Both of these great titles 
are available today!


As always, please leave a comment and 
let me know what you think!

Follow my blog by 
clicking on the link in the 
upper right hand corner of this page.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Lisa. Terrific Tuesday, to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to taking a peek at your blog every morning. Thanks for some more terrific reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your reviews. I enjoyed Engaged In Death and I have Caught Bread Handed to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great reviews, Lisa. I enjoyed reading both. It's so interesting to read the blurbs and then your reviews of the books.

    ReplyDelete